The Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) had instructed all network providers to block all SIMs without National Identification Numbers (NIN) in two weeks.
In a statement issued by Dr. Ikechukwu Adinde, Director, Public Affairs, NCC, and seen by Watchman Telegram, the apex regulator and other sister agencies said they were implementing a framework to ensure compliance.
Highlights of decisions taken for immediate implementation:
- Affirmation of the earlier directive to totally suspend registration of NEW SIMs by all operators.
- Operators to require ALL their subscribers to provide valid National Identification Number (NIN) to update SIM registration records.
- The submission of NIN by subscribers to take place within two weeks (from today December 16, 2020 and end by 30 December, 2020).
- After the deadline, ALL SIMs without NINs are to be blocked from the networks.
- A Ministerial Task Force comprising the Minister and all the CEOs (among others) as members is to monitor compliance by all networks.
- Violations of this directive will be met by stiff sanctions, including the possibility of withdrawal of operating license.
It stated, “The general public is hereby urged to ensure that their NINs are captured in their SIM registration data.
All inconveniences which might be occasioned by this directive are deeply regretted.”